Lighter Footstep has a good article on the 5 reasons why you shouldn’t buy bottled water. Odds are you have heard them before or can imagine what they are, but for kicks here is the abridged version.
- Money. You pay 2 cents per ounce for gasoline, less than 1 cent per ounce for tap water, and 5 cents per ounce for bottled tap water.
- Health. Survey says… same as your tap water.
- Garbage. 1.5 million tons of plastic waste per year which requires up to 47 million gallons of oil per year to produce.
- Public Utilities. Somehow, this provides an excuse for future neglect of public water utilities. This one is a bit of a stretch, but in a vague sense it’s true.
- Corporatization. Rapid worldwide privatization of municipal water supplies, and the effect these purchases are having on local economies.
Buy a water bottle (I recommend a stainless steel klean kanteen) and maybe some kind of home water filter. Read the full article from the link at the bottom.
[source: lighter footstep]